Sunday, February 6, 2011

Because there weren't enough challenges...

So, what's low in fat, low in sugar, low in fibre, non-dairy and not a raw vegetable or green leafy vegetable?

Last week I did the glucose test for gestational diabetes and I failed. I now have to go back in next week to do a further test and if I fail that one it means I have gestational diabetes. I've always dreaded the idea of diabetes, mainly because the diabetic diet is completely at odds with my Crohn's diet. Once you eliminate all the non-Cohn's friendly foods, AND the non-diabetic friendly foods... What the fuck is left? Water and Bread?

I never really considered myself at risk of diabetes, there's no family history. My dad had diabetes but that was a result of pancreatic cancer and not a true diabetes. I have a cousin with diabetes, but he is adopted so there is not genetic link. I'm not overweight, I've been fairly active up until the last trimester of this pregnancy, my diet is a well balanced one and I don't have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

At least with Gestational Diabetes, it typically clears up once the pregnancy is over and with a mere 8 weeks to go, if I am diagnosed it's really just a short term thing. It's something I'll need to be mindful of the next time I get pregnant of course, but for now I guess I just need to take things one step at a time.

After all, it's possible it's all just a horrible mistake.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Well, that sucks! I hope that you don't turn out to have gestational diabetes!!!! Good luck with the next test!

    - Kez

    ReplyDelete