Friday, May 15, 2009

Book Review: Eating right for a bad gut by James Scala


The New Eating Right for a Bad Gut : The Complete Nutritional Guide to Ileitis, Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Inflammatory Bowel Disease by James Scala.

When I was first diagnosed I had absolutely no idea about food and how they impacted on Crohn's. I would go out with friends for dinner and order a salad and prawns and wonder why I spent half the night doubled over in the bathroom. Salads are supposed to be good for you right? Seafood provides much needed omega 3 doesn't it? Suddenly all the rules I used to know about eating were thrown out the window and there were all these new rules that I didn't even know about. Every doctor had a different idea about what I should eat, or not eat. Even dieticians are inconsistent in their advice.

It's so confusing. Over time I have learnt what kinds of foods trigger flare-ups for me. I've learnt what foods to eat during the really bad times. I've learnt what foods will give me those much needed additional portions of protein, Vitamin B, D and iron. James Scala's book is the best guide for what to eat with Crohn's that I've ever read. I think that a copy of this book should be given out with every diagnosis. It's that valuable. In the book the author explains how food impacts on the person with IBD. He talks about the nutritional challenges and how to over come them.

There is a section within the book where James Scala talk's about the "Do's, Don'ts and cautions of food selection" This section was a life saver for me in the early days and is something I refer back to even now. My copy of the book is well read, the pages are creased and it lives on my bedside table.

The New Eating Right for a Bad Gut : The Complete Nutritional Guide to Ileitis, Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Inflammatory Bowel Disease by James Scala.

From the book jacket: "In this completely revised and updated edition of his classic book on treating "bad gut" diseases, Dr. James Scala presents a new dietary plan that has been proven to help inflammatory bowel disease go into remission. Scala firmly believes that nutrition is preventative medicine and food is the vehicle of its practice. His drug-free food and lifestyle program offers relief from the pain and embarrassment of living with these mysterious and chronic ills while providing reassuring step-by-step guidance..."

Definitely worth checking out.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment