Friday, July 3, 2009

Fatigue, weight gain, oh joy!

It’s been ages since I’ve written anything and I feel bad about that. I keep meaning to put hand to keyboard but I wind up getting distracted or just run out of time. As it is, I’m writing this when I should be working. Shhh. Don’t tell my boss.

Currently I’m on Methotrexate injections weekly and Remicade infusions every 8 weeks. Most of my symptoms have settled down and things are almost tolerable.

But I am so tired. Really tired. Sleep 16 hours a day tired. I go to bed at 9pm and I get up at 7am and I feel like I haven’t even slept. I walk around with bloodshot eyes and people look at me constantly and ask if I’m ok. Man, it’s always something with me.

Anybody else had this with either Remicade or Methotrexate?

I’m getting regular B12 and Iron shots so I know it’s not that, and thanks to a concerted effort on my part to eat properly most of my other vitamin and mineral levels are ok.

The other thing that happening at the moment is weight gain. Good Lord, I’m averaging 1 kilo a week and if one more person says to me “You needed to put on some weight though” I’m going to put my boxing classes to use and pummel them senseless. Even my GP said it. What nobody seams to under stand is the weight gain from meds isn’t going to stop, when should I do something about it? After I’ve gained 5kgs? 10kgs? 50kg? Or should I get on to it now? I’ve gained about 8kilos since leaving hospital in February, although most of that has happened in the last 2 months. So I have changed my eating habits and get more exercise. I want to avoid getting fat or that will make me depressed and then we’ll have a whole nother set of problems.

Anybody remember what life was like before we got this disease?

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I added you on Twitter - SuperRoach

    I remember before I had Crohns,
    If anything, its the worrying about if it will flare up too strong and put me in to remission, so I just mainly focus on having plenty of water. Still though, I am able to eat mostly the same food, just watch for some foods that trigger things off, the usual things you get told like that.

    Interesting too to hear from someone posting about it as well - It's not something I hear much about.

    ReplyDelete