Saturday, June 30, 2012

Magnetic Meals Planner


So I made this after seeing something similar on Pinterest. I'm generally not very crafty but I'm pretty happy with the result. It's basically a menu planner for the evening meal. I'm chronically disorganised and wind up making a mad dash to the stupidmarket three or four nights a week to pick something up for dinner. And because I'm that disorganised, we wind up having the same thing more often than not. So in the interests of variety and sanity, I've made this. Down the left are the days of the week with what we're having for dinner. On the right is a pocket for the various meal labels, below that another pocket for retired meal labels, or stuff we've just had or to hold a pencil. Below that are post-its.


I used:

An A4 frame. I used an old Ikea one that was laying around.

3 sheets of coloured cardboard to make the menu pouches. More or less.

1 sheet of scrapbooking paper to cover the backing board of the frame but you could use fabric or leave it as it is.

Magnets. Strong ones. I used one each for the days of the week clips and then the rest (I bought a pack of 20) I stuck to the back of the frame so it would stick to the fridge. You could hang it on the wall IF you live in a house that allows for such things.

Bulldog clips. Make sure they're metal so they stick to the magnets for easy removal and planning.

Stickers. Whatever takes your fancy. I used hippy flowers because that's what I had and the colours matched the paper I had. LUCKY!

Glue. I'd recommend the dries clear kind unless your gluing skills are better than mine, which, let's face it, they probably are. But go clear anyway. Trust me, when you accidentally smear glue over the leg of the hardwood table you'll be glad of it.

Clear contact. I covered the printed meal labels in contact to give them a bit more strength and to make them easy to clean. Anything even remotely associated with food will, in my house anyway, become covered in crap.

Post-it notes. Dementia will be a smooth transition for me. If I don't write it down it slips in the never regions of my mind where it will inevitably resurface at some irrelevant time long past the moment I actually needed to recall it. It is here that I can jot down new dinner ideas or reminders or baking ideas.

Just cut and paste the bits and pieces where they go. If I can figure it out, so can you. Or search on Pinterest. Google. Where ever.

On the fridge!
xoxo,

post signature

1 comment:

  1. This is one great way to organize a menu. And I really love this idea. Maybe I should start looking for a place where I could have this one. Thanks a lot for sharing.
    Lyt.com

    ReplyDelete